Saturday, October 29, 2005

Is America off the tracks?

OpinionJournal - Peggy Noonan:

"Everyone was laughing. Then, writes Mr. Lawford, Teddy 'took a long, slow gulp of his vodka and tonic, thought for a moment, and changed tack. 'I'm glad I'm not going to be around when you guys are my age.' I asked him why, and he said, 'Because when you guys are my age, the whole thing is going to fall apart.' '

Mr. Lawford continued, 'The statement hung there, suspended in the realm of 'maybe we shouldn't go there.' Nobody wanted to touch it. After a few moments of heavy silence, my uncle moved on.'
Lawford thought his uncle might be referring to their family--that it might 'fall apart.' But reading, one gets the strong impression Teddy Kennedy was not talking about his family but about . . . the whole ball of wax, the impossible nature of everything, the realities so daunting it seems the very system is off the tracks.

And--forgive me--I thought: If even Teddy knows . . ."