Wednesday, May 11, 2016

1Jo4v19 Savior teach me

Savior, teach me day by day - J :)
1 John 4:19 KJV We love him, because he first loved us.
This verse inspired a magnificent hymn that I had never heard before today. The hymn begins:
1 Savior! teach me, day by day,
Love's sweet lesson to obey;
Sweeter lesson cannot be,
Loving Him Who first loved me.
I found this first verse while researching quotes and sermons of the Oxford martyr and great preacher of the English separation from Rome, Hugh Latimer.
Latimer was burned at the stake with Nicholas Ridley. He is quoted as having said to Ridley:
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.[8]
The first verse of the hymn is ascribed to Latimer:http://www.inspiringquotes.us/author/1226-hugh-latimer
Other verses were evidently added later in the hymnals of the English church and her colonial daughters. The version below is from the U.S. Episcopal 1892 hymnal. It seems to have been dropped from the otherwise excellent 1940 hymnal which I used as a soprano and later as a bass in an excellent Episcopal church choir.
1 Savior! teach me, day by day, / Love's sweet lesson to obey; / Sweeter lesson cannot be, / Loving Him Who first loved me.
2 With a childlike heart of love, / At Thy bidding may I move; / Prompt to serve and follow Thee, / Loving Him Who first loved me.
3 Teach me all Thy steps to trace, / Strong to follow in Thy grace; / Learning how to love from Thee; / Loving Him Who first loved me.
4 Love in loving finds employ, / In obedience all her joy; / Ever new that joy will be, / Loving Him Who first loved me.
5 Thus may I rejoice to show / That I feel the love I owe; / Singing, till Thy face I see, / Of His love Who first loved me.
The Hymnal: revised and enlarged as adopted by the General Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America in the year of our Lord 1892 - http://www.hymnary.org/text/savior_teach_me_day_by_day
A favored few still sing the hymn, watch and listen at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhLZbkndGvI
I2C 160511aa 1Jo4v19 Savior teach me | I2C | 160511 1224 et